Leather Bound & Lovely home about reviews contact policy

6.01.2012

Timepiece by Myra McEntire


Title: Timepiece
Author: Myra McEntire
Pages: 336
Release: June 12th, 2012

Synopsis:
(from Goodreads) A threat from the past could destroy the future. And the clock is ticking...Kaleb Ballard's relentless flirting is interrupted when Jack Landers, the man who tried to murder his father, timeslips in and attacks before disappearing just as quickly. But Kaleb has never before been able to see time travelers, unlike many of his friends associated with the mysterious Hourglass organization. Are Kaleb's powers expanding, or is something very wrong?Then the Hourglass is issued an ultimatum. Either they find Jack and the research he's stolen on the time gene, or time will be altered with devastating results.
Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their unusual powers to find Jack. But where do they even start? And when? And even if they succeed, it may not be enough...

My Thoughts:
After reading Hourglass and loving it, I knew any other books in the series would be a definite buy for me. Unfortunately, while Timepiece has a lovely cover and a synopsis that promises another thrilling adventure in this unique time travel series, I found that Timepiece is really just an average read.

My first issue with this book is that it’s in Kaleb’s perspective. I find the cover to be very misleading because to be honest, Emerson isn’t a huge figure in this sequel, but she’s still on the cover. I also had a lot of trouble remembering this was Kaleb’s perspective because I felt like his dialogue and thoughts seemed almost identical to Emerson’s from the first book. It got very confusing at times and actually made me miss being in Emerson’s head. I also had a problem with Lily, Emerson’s best friend. While she isn’t a huge character in Hourglass, in this book she’s more prominent and I found that I kind of detest her character. She doesn’t know what she wants, is very whiney, and half of the book is spent with everyone else trying to persuade her to help the Hourglass out. It got repetitious and very tiring.

The book had some really good things though, like a very strong beginning that really caught my attention when it jumped right into some pretty heavy plot. I felt connected early on. It also has a very strong close at the ending that promises a lot for the next book and was wrapped up nicely. I will not give up on this series and I believe that the next book could really have great potential. However, I would say that this book was simply okay. Nothing spectacular, but not bad either.

In Short:
Rating: 3/5
Purchase or Check Out?: Purchase
Would I read it again?: No


3 comments:

  1. I haven't read Hourglass yet, but after your review I'm ready to read both books! It's a bummer that this isn't as strong as the first, and i've read a few reviews that say that - but it still sounds like a fun read.

    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARG! I'm so mad at myself. I was trying to catch up on other NG titles and hadn't downloaded this one yet, and the publisher has already archived it. D'oh! However, seeing that you only gave it 3 stars -- the same I gave Hourglass when I read it -- makes me feel a little better. I still love the cover, though, so I'm going to go ahead and pre-order it. :P

    My problem with Hourglass was the actual lack of time travel. And Emerson herself. I don't even remember this Lily character you mentioned, but I liked Kaleb. But it kinda sounds like this is more of a companion novel since it's told from his perspective. Did it seem like that to you, instead of a continuation of Emerson's storyline?

    Anyway, love the honest review. I hope book three ends up being super-awesome to make up for the lackluster sequel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this honest review! It seems like everyone only has good things to say about this so it was refreshing to read a differing opinion. :) Augh, I hate it when male POVs are inauthentic and I don't think it bodes well if his voice is interchangeable with Emerson. Yikes. Hm, I'm going to have to lower my expectations for this book. Thanks again for the review!

    ReplyDelete